This site is now rather dead. It wasn’t always dead. Like the ancient city state of Venice, it once had a golden age when merchants treated it as a trading hub, culture and entertainment were highly valued and technology was cutting edge. But with the rise of larger neighbouring countries and its own complacency, Venice fell into ruin.
Instead, now we just swish around in gondolas and pretend to be romantic.
This reminds me that I have this one regular feature I’ve always wanted to do - basically dig up old stuff from other people’s blog and laugh at it. Let’s start with easy target, DarkMirage.
DM’s archives show that his earlier entries date to November 2005. He probably started blogging before that, but did not import the entries. Like any good emo school kid of 15, he talked about girls, rock music and games. Or rather, anime girls, anime music and anime games. He used to be, or actually still is a huge Sakamoto Maaya fan, and paid lots of money to be in her fanclub officially. But since he doesn’t live in Japan, he doesn’t get to enjoy the benefits of being in her fanclub. So he just pays the money. For the sake of paying Maaya. Such a fanboy!
"I totally forgot to check Maaya’s site for her November update. I’m a failure… But anyway, here’s the latest I.D. message and translation. Needless to say, I’m ordering this through the official fanclub~" says DM.
But once he got sucked into the horrid Jason Miao’s Anime Blog Toshokan, he decided that too many people were viewing his blog for him to talk about non-anime stuff, so he officially decided to blog only anime and related issues, which was a shame as now we could not find out how his various erm xHTML courses were like.
DM’s early anime blogging set the tone for his later years. He would rarely ever praise anime, instead going the "I hate this but I must watch it to make funny comments" style. DM also thought that Shuffle! was generic harem anime. Of course, with hindsight, we now know Shuffle! anime possibly revolutionised the harem genre by introducing the pioneering sugar-coated monster girls.
At his enthusiastic larva phase, DM was very emotionally invested in his anime viewing, as can be seen by this passionate rant directed at, hold your laughter, Da Capo! "Actually, it’s because I am quite upset with the latest episode….Aisia, I know you support Kotori and I want to thank you for that. But could you please STFU and stop creating opportunities for the story to end at the current status quo. I can see it now…
Little bitch Aisia causes magic sakura tree to revive and endangers Nemu’s life once more. Kotori and others once again get shoved aside by a few hundred yards while the climax plays out between Jun’ichi, Nemu, Sakura and Aisia."
But what truly made his blog rise in stock (he was still a lowly peon blogger at that time) was his "Guide to Learning Japanese", all four parts of it. It was his first post that got lots of comments and he also starting giving off the "I know Japanese" vibes, which was at that time quite rare as most bloggers were Americans who relied on subtitles. Poor Larva DM thought "P.S. I believe this has got to be the longest blog entry I have ever written… Holy shit! 6500+ words! I shall take a break from blogging for a bit." 6500 words, pfft small fry. That’s like saying, "Oh wow I have a huge 3 inch penis!"
One thing larva DM has in common with Mature DM is that they both use funny sarcastic captions for pictures. Consistency over the past 3 years! In fact, his writing style hasn’t really changed much, which is quite surprising considering bloggers are always upgrading or downgrading their writing abilities. Did you know DM’s native tongue is not English? Those people out there who only speak English and nothing else, hold your heads in shame (Yes you Narutards and Americans and Brits), DM can speak 5 languages better than you! We have his native Mandarin, English, Japanese, erm C++ and sarcasm.
How did he become so famous then? Because he was a drama queen and a powerful keyboard warrior. So that makes him something like Jeanne D’Arc online if you consider being flamed "you faggoty n00b!" the modern equivalent of burning at the stake. Knowing that fansubbers are easily riled,along with their fanatically loyal army of downloaders who worship subbers more than the actual people who made the show, he attacked groups like Doremi and Nyoron over their shitty releases, thus gaining himself a far greater readership and comment rate. Next he attacked Odex, and rallied the anime-loving troops of his nation against the evil corporation. More recently, he started to adopt a "blog popular series like Gundam and annnounce I am translator of them" approach which works well because if you were asked to pick between two anime blogs who talk about Gunda, you would surely pick the guy who did your subs.
All that helped his traffic growth, to about four times this site’s rate. But what is truly amazing is how along the way, he got himself tonnes of free hardware like PSPs, PS3s, Xbox 360s, new laptops, new mp3 players, new ipod touches (by winning computer competitions, your HP = your traffic count and he has 9999 daily), being a hip and cool fansubber (I am Gundam!), getting a black belt in wing chun boxing (like Lei from Tekken), breaking the 100m sprint record without using his Gate powers and most impressive of all, is next in line for the throne of Imperial Japan.
DarkMirage needs a rest from all his exertions.
Popularity: 4% [?]
- Yes! It's going to be great!: 13% (104)
- Maybe, I'll still watch it anyway and judge then.: 44% (349)
- No! It will be shit! Like all adaptations!: 32% (258)
- What is Ghost in the Shell? I love yaoi.: 11% (88)
Total Votes : 799
- Figure Review: Pizza Hut Mascot CC Naked
- Pick a FF Heroine and LET ME SHOW YOU WHAT YOU ARE.
- Who is your Favourite FF Hero?
- [Tsubaki] RIUVA’s PostSecrets for Otakus
- [Hynavian] Round-Robin: Otaku Stereotypes and Perception
- Otaku @ the Extended Family Dinners
- [Kokanaden] Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots - A Preliminary Review
- [Tsubaki] Haruhi appears in Banned Singapore political film
- Digging Up the Grave #1: DarkMirage was Once a Larva
- [Kokanaden] Metal Gear Solid 4: First Impressions
- Gundam 00 Comic Strip 1
- Nagato Yuki and her Spacious Cabin
- An Extreme Streak of Bad Luck
- [LianYL] You Just Need A Windbreaker To Survive The Present Temperature In Tokyo. Add An Extra Scarf If You Might Prefer.
- [LianYL] BRStick - 89 >> Far Too Deep In
- STICKY! AnimeBloggers and Friends’ Counterstrike BattleRoyale this Saturday
- New Banner: Guess this Character!
- Testes! Update of WP and Addition of a Few Plugins
- Announcing Results of Riuva Anime (de)Motivational Poster Contest!
- Who should be the WINNER of the Anime (de)Motivation Contest? *Voting Closed*
Most Commented Posts
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3! - 486
- Eureka seveN!! "Decent" Anime?? CHIGAUUUU!! Ultima Class Anime. Spoilers here. - 215
- Anime Rave: Gakuen Alice - 181
- [LianYL] Hello, Bots And Readers Alike - 163
- Exclusive: The Vision of Odexflowne - 158
- Hot Discussion: Is Anime Good for Us? Are We Proud of Liking It? - 141
- Ouran: Who should Haruhi Date? - 117
- Nerds Make the Best Boyfriends. FACT! - 107
- Q and A! Find Out What You Need to Know About the Never-Ending Odex Saga! - 94
- What is the Anime Hero of Your Country? - 88
- Anime Desho Desho?
- The Great Singapore Figurine Clearance Sale
- I’m on teh newspapers!
- Extras Needed!
- Evangelion 0.1: You Are (Not) Alone
- Hello from space!
- dannychoo.com - Danny Choo : Anime, Figures, Idols, Gundam, Otaku and Events from Japan
- Shibuya Rock Trooper
- A Week in London
- A Week in Tokyo 17
- Japanese Lessons
- Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (TV)
- Aika R-16
- Warm and Cozy Enma Ai
- In Progress: Air Gear, Kanon, My-Otome
- Franco il Nero [questionable]
- Ramblings of DarkMirage
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 10
- Anti-establishment propaganda stole my photo
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 9
- Macross Zero in Macross Frontier
- Macross Frontier OST - Nyan Furo
- The FØØL's Progress
- Akihabara Massacre: Singapore Otaku’s Perspectives
- Stupid Kid
- Next Stop…Bishan
- The Wedding Diary #2
- 27 currently online
- 45 maximum concurrent
- 2356514 total visitors