The animation quality of this episode was pretty bad, strangely. It felt like the storyboard and character designs were lifted entirely from the manga, unlike the first two seasons where they used anime character designs instead. Everyone knows that the anime version of SR has better looking characters, which explains why the anime SR goods sell better than the manga SR goods, but this episode had the manga-styled minimalist character designs instead.
So there will be two episodes of the 3rd semester OVA… It’s amazing how long it has been since I watched the first season for the first time. 4 years! Time seems to move real quick once you get into your twenties. Over these five years, we’ve seen:
- Harima become a true mangaka and man
- Karasuma reveal his secrets and emotions and become a true man
- Mikoto get attached and breaking up
- Akira being all cool
- Tenma gaining courage but not wisdom
- Karen and Imadori getting close
- Yakumo discovering more of her own personality
- Eri finally liking a person and being rejected
- Tani-sensei still failing to snag any female teachers
- Hanai getting a harem
- and many more.
I always feel real nostalgic whenever a long series I’ve grown attached to ends. I remember brooding for eons when my then-favourite manga, Shaman King, ended abruptly so many moons ago.
Cheers to Kobayashi Jin for his great work on a truly memorable love comedy!