Here in Singapore, (or probably anywhere in the world with a strict driving license test), the ability to drive legally is one of the marks of adulthood. Being in full control of a killing machine capable of speeds far greater than any non-flying organism nature can come up with does truly require a lot of responsibility and skill.
It costs about 2000 dollars to get a license here, which is quite unlike most other countries such as the US. I know testing is lax over there and you can get a license just by having sex with the tester apparently. But here, our testers hold tablet computers armed with GPS systems that will track your every mistake, even fictional ones like "not checking the rearview mirror". Like how the hell can they even see your eyes move!
They make us go for about 20 lessons at driving schools (or private instructors) which cost about 60-70 dollars for 1.5 hours. Add to that the costs of booking theory lessons, exams and so on, you are looking at a hefty 2000 dollar bill or more. I’m probably an average learner and I passed on my first try. If I were to fail, I would require about 500 dollars more in retest booking fees and revision lessons. And I know many who fail multiple times. My brother 4 years younger got his license just 3 days after me, he took a private course and paid about 1400, and took like 20 percent the time. So don’t get tricked by school claims that private guys take far longer.
After all that, passing the test is a moment of elation. Too bad it doesn’t prepare you for real world driving, as I found out just now. I took my mom’s large MPV for a spin, and while I didn’t crash or murder anyone with my dual machine guns, it wasn’t too easy. I’m sure my mom feels real proud today to have her two sons finally drive her around.
Not too many of the local otakus have licenses, I count Zer0 and Windbell and maybe a handful others. It’s probably not that cost-effective as cars are expensive here.
I wonder if mounting water guns the size of super soakers is legal here. Alternatively, I would modify the watersprays for the windshield wipers to face outward with increased pressure, and these would act as water cannons for any evil doers in front of me.
On a side note, almost all the anime I’m following have ended. This transition stage is always the most boring, such that I’m even marathoning World Destruction at the moment in my free time, which is not much anyway.
Popularity: 2% [?]
- Scathing reviews.: 36% (16)
- Funny lists.: 25% (11)
- Sexy pictures.: 30% (13)
- Event coverage.: 5% (2)
- Interviews.: 2% (1)
- Photos.: 2% (1)
Total Votes : 44
- Index will be the Show of the Season.
- What would YOU OTAKU Do if Granted Superstrength and Giant Mecha?
- [Hynavian] thinks that Rosario+Vampire Capu2 has improved
- Introducing New Author! He loves Breast, er no Bread.
- [Ascaloth] CLANNAD ~After Story~, Episode 1
- House Bunny is Bad but not Worse than Koizora.
- [G-man] To Anime or not to Anime….That is the Question
- I can Drive Now.
- I Wish to Travel. Any Suggestions?
- Introducing New Feature: Riuva Food. Let’s Start with the Zergling of Chinese Cooking.
- YUA Full Throttle: A Checklist of Things You Need to Do To Enjoy It
- Figure News: SR DX Suigintou. Lain and Eri have been released too.
- My Digicam’s Here! Cleaning up! Found new Store! and other news…
- 5 Anime Girls Who Would Actually Grow Up into Successful Career Women in Modern Society
- Poll Analysis: Are You Into the World Cup Fever? and New Poll
- “Exile” or “Sylvana”? Name My New Laptop Please. And 6 Range Murata Wallpapers!
- Figure Review: Evangelion Tennis Doubles Match!
- [Kokanaden] Rant: Leave ANIME alone~!
- Combine Your Powers to Create An Anime Quiz Game for Everyone!
- [Tsubaki] RIUVA, hijacked.
Most Commented Posts
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3! - 538
- Eureka seveN!! "Decent" Anime?? CHIGAUUUU!! Ultima Class Anime. Spoilers here. - 217
- Anime Rave: Gakuen Alice - 183
- [LianYL] Hello, Bots And Readers Alike - 172
- Exclusive: The Vision of Odexflowne - 159
- Hot Discussion: Is Anime Good for Us? Are We Proud of Liking It? - 147
- Ouran: Who should Haruhi Date? - 124
- Nerds Make the Best Boyfriends. FACT! - 108
- Movie Review: Koizora is so Bad, it makes Dumb and Dumber Smart - 98
- Q and A! Find Out What You Need to Know About the Never-Ending Odex Saga! - 94
- Anime Desho Desho?
- The Great Singapore Figurine Clearance Sale
- I’m on teh newspapers!
- Extras Needed!
- Evangelion 0.1: You Are (Not) Alone
- Hello from space!
- dannychoo.com - dannychoo.com - Your portal to Japan
- Tokyo 2001 - 2004
- Japan Weather
- A Week in Tokyo 26
- Queens Gate Alice
- Blanc Neige
- Starting Code Geass
- Murata Dilemma
- HappySoda vol. 1
- Ramblings of DarkMirage
- 1/6 Kan’u Unchou Motorcycle Review
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 25
- Macross Frontier — an ending postponed?
- Rozen Aso is the Prime Minister
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 24
- The FØØL's Progress
- Bounce with Me, Bounce with Me
- Sunrise at Kami-Igusa
- SATSUGAIII? Say Orz….
- Go to DMC!!!!!1111111
- Rainy Night in Shinjuku
- 19 currently online
- 50 maximum concurrent
- 2797003 total visitors