For those who have been living underground, Gankutsuou is a GONZO remake of Alexander Dumal’s Count of Monte Cristo and it really was a good show. Using never-seen-before colourful animation which incorporated fanciful texture on to the hair and clothes of the characters which proved too strong for some viewers, it also had a strong plot and memorable characters. I liked this show quite a lot, its character designs were breathtakingly beautiful thanks to the the abundant variety of colours used and of course the fancy costumes and handsome faces.
I liked Eugenie a lot cos she was tsundere with boyish charm. Like Fujioka Haruhi. Anyway, the three characters featured in this figurine set are the "bad guys" and they look the part. The Count is considered evil in this remake since the protoganist is Albert, whose family and friends are the ones suffering from the vengeance of the Count. So the Count and his hencemen, Giovanni and Baptistin look EVIL and dark.
Sculpted by Ohnishi Koji of Heavy Gauge, the Count’s figurine is also finished by Arakuma. They did a mighty fine job, I have to say. Damn it see for yourselves!
The Count is sitting elegantly in his couch and his face just exudes hatred. Yeah he looks pissed alright, but it’s a beautiful form of pissation. His clothes are ver detailed and just look at the cuffs and sleeves.. but wait! The staff lying on his left is cool as well. There is another version of the Count in Gankutsuou mode which has a hollow head fitted with a lighting mechanism that actually replicates the 4-eyed mark of Gankutsuou!!
His underlings, who are pretty nice guys in spite of their looks, are in the kneeling position flanking the Count. Their suits are painted with a lot of patterns, which must have taken quite a bit of effort.
This is art. Mona Lisas are fine and all, but give me a Gankutsuou set any day! Well I would sell the Mona Lisa and buy figurines yeah actually. I don’t think this set is meant for mass production. After all, only girl figures sell.
- Yes, my best skill now is "watching anime".: 74% (113)
- No, anime is too weak to make me lose control.: 26% (40)
Total Votes : 153
- New Camera! W0000 POWER!
- Figure Review: Dark Saber is the Nagato Yuki of Fate
- Weekly Rounds: Tachikoma, F91, More FigShooting, Xeres and Nerds
- I Can’t Buy Figurines of Dead Anime Characters! Or Can I?
- Figure Gallery: Messerschmitt 109 FighterBabe
- Figure Gallery: Melon Munchin’ Monster
- Figure Gallery: Sleepy Hollow Louise Version
- Otaku Hunting and Guitar Talk, Depapepe Power
- Figure News: Scream, Haruhi Fanboys! Last Exile Rocks too.
- EX Figure Review: Riuva’s First Cold Cast! Kuga Natsuki in Swimsuit
- Anime Boredom
- Tripeman Graphical Swarm Beast Manly Attack. Who is the Manlinest of Them All?
- Figure Review: LAIN is Pain, the Queen of Cyberloli Needs Some Photoshop
- Mega First Impressions: MORE MORE MORE
- China Threatens to Slaughter Japan Erogaming Industry
- Girl Power: Tsukamoto Yakumo (School Rumble)
- Japan Animation Now in Singapore: A Walk-through
- My Friends Say They Do Not Understand this Site. Is this Otaku-exclusive?
- The Award for Most Beautiful Female Pair of 2005/06 Goes to….
- Poll Results: Do You Collect Anime Figurines? and New Poll
- 15 currently online
- 45 maximum concurrent
- 260502 total visitors