The post I shall address is by some small kid who’s complaining that he did some anime thing for art class (art honours class lol, whatever that is) and the teacher said he couldn’t do that because anime was not creative. The small kid then got really angry online, like all small kids do, and his small kid friends all supported his claim that anime is WAY SUPER DUPER CREATIVE AND THE BEES’ KNEES, better than all the other art forms and so good Jesus wept hugging his body pillow of Nagisa.
Creativity was not defined, but I’m saying now that it probably means doing something that’s fresh, unique and not stolen from anywhere else that much.
For some reason, I can’t find this blog post anymore because I don’t remember who wrote it, what blog it was and animenano is really shit at searching. Wait, anime nano is real shit at everything, and I’ll finally be moving my ass and reading blogs via Google reader soon. Well, after I load up the URLs of the good blogs of course.
See, this is the problem with a population getting too large, each of whom has more or less equal access to being heard. You start to get bad blogging clogging up the aggregators, and it appears that I was slow in ceasing the use of these once-convenient platforms. Other bloggers who are of a certain standard have informed me that they have long abandoned RSS aggregator sites in favour of just plain old book marks or RSS readers. Anyway, back to the topic.
Ok, at this point, I found the blog by googling "anime is creative" and it appeared top of the list. Wow, does that mean she (I now know she’s a she) is the only one who thinks that?
Quoted, "If anime’s so uncreative, why are there thousands of series all about different characters, different stories, different [insert story element here]. If the style’s so uncreative, then why can I name piles of series that all have different ways of drawing the “anime style”? Why is it suddenly “not art” the minute you notice the eyes aren’t done realistically?"
By thousands of series all about different characters with different stories all being creative, she probably means the same 5 characters with 3 stories all repeated over and over again. And regarding the creative style, OMG HE MOVED THE EYES, or something, and it’s a whole new style. Or like, HE USES SOFT COLOURS!!!! Or like, THE EYES ARE BIGGER ON THAT ONE!! I once read the history of manga and anime, and while most of the details have been forgotten, the general style all came from a tiny group of people whose styles were then copied. While this also applies to most other forms of artistic expression, anime creators probably do it the worst since most anime really look the same, as compared to other cartoons, like western ones.
I take issue when people, whose literary diet consist of purely anime and manga, take offence at others who dare to say anime and manga are really generic formula-based pop works that reuse the same old designs, stories and character traits. Even the makers of Xam’d and Eureka seveN said in a recent interview said so. I’ve read over 1500 manga volumes and seen probably even more anime episodes, and I do like anime and manga, but that’s because I like things being the same! As my friends can attest to, I order the same food over and over again from the same stalls every day without fail, I listen to either anime music or the same old bands, and I do things the same way all the time. But still, I’m able to honestly say anime isn’t creative. Or at least, the vast majority of anime is really the same.
Is that bad? Not really, if the studios can gurantee income and the fans love it, there’s not much of a need to change the formula right? Just don’t sound like a retard and go around ranting about how anime is like sooo cool and underground and radical all the time.
If you still believe anime is creative, just take a look at some new shows starting this new season. I have conveniently listed and summarised them so that we can see how similar they are to each other and other shows.
Akikan - Harem, bishoujo fighting. Sort of like Sekirei and the other trashy fanservice shows. NOT creative, unless you think using the same formula just with different items is creative. Like next season if a show involving cameras who turn into bishojo named Nikon, Canon and Sony, fighting each other and loving the same guy, is creative.
Koukaku no Regios - Futuristic bug world, harem, bland guy with strong powers who had a past and refuses to show his powers. Creative? That’s like a mishmash of older shows. It’s ok entertainment.
Hetalia - This is unusual for anime, historical satirical humour. But see, Koreans hate it cos there’s not enough dog meat to eat in it or something.
White Album - Just making a live action drama into anime isn’t creative you know.
Rideback - As awesome as it is, Rideback still features cool transforming mecha with a genius pilot. Like almost all mecha shows. Still, the ballet motorcycle bot is something new.
Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo - Almost all female cast, the same character designs, and a similar story to the Mai universe, it’s even called Maihime 4 by the fansubbers.
One Outs - Sports, baseball, featuring a godmoded pitcher who doesn’t lose, like almost all sports series. Possibly creative for some due to the use of microtactics that go beyond just pitching the ball with great passion.
Munto - A shitty Escaflowne ripoff. Fuck you Kyoani.
Asu no Yoichi - A powerful guy gets a harem, who love him. Creative!!! WOOOO.
Druaga 2 - RPG-style adventure, with RPG-style job classes. Anime is creative.
Kurokami - I’ve seen at least 10 shows where some sort of power contract is formed between a guy and a girl. Even in this season, Akikan has a similar concept.
Birdy 2 - See above, Tsutomu has a contract with scantily-clad Birdy. But Birdy’s dead anyway lol. This show has intergalactic cops and aliens doing shit on Earth. Sounds new? Not really.
Maria 4 - Wow, yuri girls in a elegant high school! This HAS BEEN the formula for yuri shows since the dinosaurs ruled the world.
Major 5 - As above, unbeatable pitchers. But of course, I love this show.
Souja no Erin - Slice of life with a crisis in each episode, sounds like all the kids’ shows out there.
There you have it, not one stands out and I even mistakenly placed One Outs in there. The most creative in story and characters is probably Hetalia but that’s because it’s unusual for anime. Political caricature has been done to death everywhere else. The most creative visuals probably come from NOWHERE, none of the series above.
So, where’s the creativity again? Sure, you can always find stuff that pop up once in a while that’s really new and fresh, but these are mostly only new and fresh in the anime realm. An example is Death Note, everyone thought it was the most badass intelligent thing ever or something but that’s because they don’t actually read books with words in them.
The rest of her post goes about ranting at the failings of her art teacher, who does sound really useless. But while I’m in agreement over her stand that she should be allowed to do anime shit for her project, I’m disgusted by the fact that she thinks anime is actually creative. Truth is, the medium has been stuck in quite the rut in terms of freshness and groundbreaking designs.
Please name me shows that you’ve seen recently that you think are creative. I probably will have watched them before, but we can then discuss whether they are. But whether a show is creative or not, a good show is a good show.
Popularity: 15% [?]
- Scathing reviews.: 18% (436)
- Funny lists.: 12% (303)
- Sexy pictures.: 55% (1330)
- Event coverage.: 2% (60)
- Interviews.: 2% (52)
- Photos.: 11% (256)
Total Votes : 2437
- dannychoo.com - dannychoo.com - Your portal to Japan
- A Week in Tokyo 27
- Dark Saint
- Japanese Farts
- Tokyo By Night
- Ryouko Asakura
- Black Rock Shooter
- Honey & Clover, After Set 1
- Yagyu Jubei
- What My Top 5 Anime Says
- Ramblings of DarkMirage
- A Tribute to Anonymous
- EOY Cosplay 2009
- Anime Festival Asia 2009
- Animation Asia Conference 2009
- Sankaku Complex
- Love Plus Hentai Plus Gallery
- 60 Police Crowd Station over Mass Exhibitionism
- A Decade of Pantsu Anime
- A Decade of Bishoujo Anime Character Design
- Regular Sex “Halves Heart Attacks”
- THAT Animeblog
- Gundam 00 S2 - 17: Andrei’s Hail Mary
- Maria+Holic, Episode 4- Oh Shaft
- Maria-sama ga Miteru - 04: The Machinations of Yoshino
- Minami-ke Okaeri - 04: Fighting Touma, Hidden Banchou
- White Album - 04: Calling Your Date Collect…
- The FØØL's Progress
- End of File
- Animation Nation 2009
- It Takes A Wizard
- Gundam Fiesta Singapore 2009
- Gundam Gals
- Why I have not Updated for Weeks: Filling up My Passport with Stamps!
- [Tenshi_MKII] Merry Christmas Everyone!
- Super Exhaustive 2000-2009 Anime List with Notes so You will Learn.
- [LianYL] End Of Year Clearance Sales
- Evangelion 2.0 in Cinemas! Best Battles in History of Anime.
- [Tenshi_MKII] Turn A Gundam in Seitokai no Ichizon?
- Exclusive Interview with Mika, the Hot Maid from Moe Moe Kyun!
- [Tenshi_MKII] Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen AKA Fatal Frame 4 is not as scary/hard as the previous games
- [G-man] Geek to Geek…. Why not?
- [G-Man] Gintama The Movie
- [Crest] How Beautiful is a Cage of Lamination and Regret?
- Seiyuu Talk: Hirano Aya is the Seiyuu Britney Spears and Other Pictures…
- Hancock is like Going Down a Fun Waterslide Only to Realise Poisonous Spikes are at the Bottom.
- Cliche Cliche? 10 Non-cliche Ways to Confess your Undying Love!
- “Artists” Piss Me Off and Tsubaki Appears in Newspapers.
- Figure Review: Yujin Bonfire Party Part 1 - Suigintou
- [Soshi] Sunday Flea Market!
- Do You Guys Know Adachi Mitsuru?
- Interview with Hoshi, the Yin Cosplayer with More Brains than You!
- Figure Review: Matsuri the Vet and Her Pet
Most Commented Posts
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3! - 620
- Eureka seveN!! "Decent" Anime?? CHIGAUUUU!! Ultima Class Anime. Spoilers here. - 253
- Anime Rave: Gakuen Alice - 195
- Movie Review: Koizora is so Bad, it makes Dumb and Dumber Smart - 186
- [LianYL] Hello, Bots And Readers Alike - 179
- Hot Discussion: Is Anime Good for Us? Are We Proud of Liking It? - 161
- Exclusive: The Vision of Odexflowne - 161
- Ouran: Who should Haruhi Date? - 160
- [LianYL] Aaaaand My Own Bazaar Starts Now - 123
- Nerds Make the Best Boyfriends. FACT! - 118
- 12 currently online
- 88 maximum concurrent
- 4165229 total visitors