So people are complaining about a few things.
1. The Japanese names are fake. Some people claim that fake names are retarded, while others insist that all maids must have Japanese names. I’m on the fence for this one actually, because I seriously doubt even real Japanese maids use their real names when they work! So the point of fake names is moot. I think as long as a name doesn’t sound too Chinese, like "Hock Huat" or "Poon Boon", then it’s fine. What’s wrong with having English names for the maids anyway? Having Japanese ones are fine too.
2. The girls can’t pronounce Japanese. Yeah, of course not because Singaporeans don’t speak Japanese. Duh, how many of the otakus can speak Japanese? I’m supposed to be able to comprehend, read and write Japanese but I still sound pretty bad when I speak it, despite my Japanese friends saying "It’s fine!" They sure are polite. LianYL has the best conversational Japanese out of all of us, including Darkmirage’s, but he still sounds like a Chinaman when he speaks the language. I seriously don’t expect these pretty faces to be linguistically inclined enough to learn Japanese phrases, and still master the pronounciations and intonations to convey a "moe" vibe. For me, as long as a girl has a pretty face and a decent body, she just serve me in silence for all I care.
3. The maids aren’t hot. Guys, you are otakus. Complaining someone isn’t hot is the equivalent of Bhutan invading the USA military-wise. From what I’ve seen, I can assure you that the maids look better than the average cosplayer, and would probably beat out the vast majority of the cosplayers here in Singapore. Possibly because Singaporean girls aren’t hot but that’s another arguable issue.
I shall now explain why people are thinking this way.
1. Maid costumes come with huge baggage. People have heightened expectations of girls in maid costumes and these expectations are not realistic because they are based on anime girls!! Even Japanese maids are horrible looking compared to anime girls. It doesn’t help that many of the maid costumes are of pretty bad quality and are not tailored to fit, which results in them being unflattering to the girls’ figures. I would much prefer a bikini cafe.
2. Anime maids are voiced by seiyuu, professionals at the art of voice. Real life maids are a lot weaker in that area. If a girl had a great voice, good body, and a great face, she wouldn’t want to work in a maid cafe!! She would be an idol, star or a high class prostitute. Be realistic in your expectations. It’s funny that otakus always complain that others are not good enough for them, when they, in their 3-day old shirts and BO, stand there in an awesome picture of irony.
And to substantiate my case I present you some evidence and a possible reason for AFA09 (which I won’t be going again most likely, no thanks to it again falling during exam period.)
Source of photos: Our AFK writer Breadpit! He sent me these lol. The fucker just doesn’t want to write stuff.