It’s a good manga really.
I was there to work, unfortunately. Despatching my underling photographers to the far corners of the stadium much like how Kira uses his DRAGOON system, I then planted my ass on the bench and did not move for the next 4 hours. Much like Tezuka in Prince of Tennis. Here’s a pictorial look at the whole event. Note that my camera was a Fuji Finepix Z2, not the most professional but it was red and white, the national colours. Photography became a nightmare after the sun set, having had to use settings like ISO 1600 lol.
This year’s parade was pretty bad compared to last year’s, which was decentralised and held simultaneously at 5 different spots with tanks rumbling across the country in a flashy mobile column. This year had little military presence but more dancing. I don’t like dancing. The complicated choreography of every item just shows how much these people put in to perfect their routines. 5 months of harsh spartan training paid just for this day, poor kids.
The National Stadium, a 65,000 seater, will be demolished soon and this was the final parade held in it. Yeah it was about time, the place was crap.
Back to the parade, this year was rather mundane. The usual paratroopers (they are god-like l33t skillzzzz though), uniformed contingents, celebrity (sort of) emcees, school choirs and bands, helicopters, after-burning F-16 Fighting Falcons, lots of flashy costumes, lights and huge array of fireworks 360 degrees around the stadium.
The main draw of this year was probably the increased amount of fireworks, thanks to the concurrent holding of the Singapore Fireworks Festival no doubt. It was hard trying to capture these on film as they happened simultanously in all directions, it was quite majestic.
I have a set of these pictures that can be used for the 4koma.
Flying man on a balloon.
Note the loli. She’s hawt.
Shota with cool j-rock girl.
They managed to land in the stadium on a tiny 10 x 10 m square. GOD SKILLS.
Lots of dancing. These are primary school kids too, imagine the torture they had to go through for this. RESPECT.
Tortured teenagers. These are the Comandos, the elite of the Army.
Loli. She noticed me though.
Countless Starwars Laser Cannons all over the place made for a great lightshow.
Interesting picture - Speed Grapher!
A lot of tortured souls.
Guess which country’s flag this is?
Chinook heli with 2 Apache Attack Helis.
Loli. She did not notice me.
President S R Nathan. He’s cool. But doesn’t really do the usual President stuff.
F-16 on afterburner.
The jrock girl’s real face.
The rank in the foreground is corporal. I am one too unfortunately.
Giant props!!! These were like DOMINATOR of Overman King Gainer, able to change shape and size at will.
All these have some sort of contrived symbolism, such as "UNITY OF YOUTH" or whatever.
Pyrotechnics from the DOMINATOR.
These actually were launched all around the stadium. AMAZING.
Flares and all sorts of fireworks.
There were a lot of giant balloons too. These could change colour and were very cool.
The lavish use of props and costumes is testament to the financial health of the country.
Scaled down, these pics just don’t look as impressive as they did.
This is my favourite picture. Coloured fireworks don’t show up as well on picture for me.
This golden shower (lol) was pretty breath-taking.
The balloon + fireworks combi was very unique.
Finale. All the performers got together to sing patriotic songs. I have to admit these songs are as nostalgic as Gatekeepers.
The crowd each got one goody bag with tonnes of freebies. Among these are torches and lighted caps, which accounts for the lights in the gallery.
Finally, a massive balloon release.
- Yes, my best skill now is "watching anime".: 74% (113)
- No, anime is too weak to make me lose control.: 26% (40)
Total Votes : 153
- New Camera! W0000 POWER!
- Figure Review: Dark Saber is the Nagato Yuki of Fate
- Weekly Rounds: Tachikoma, F91, More FigShooting, Xeres and Nerds
- I Can’t Buy Figurines of Dead Anime Characters! Or Can I?
- Figure Gallery: Messerschmitt 109 FighterBabe
- Figure Gallery: Melon Munchin’ Monster
- Figure Gallery: Sleepy Hollow Louise Version
- Otaku Hunting and Guitar Talk, Depapepe Power
- Figure News: Scream, Haruhi Fanboys! Last Exile Rocks too.
- EX Figure Review: Riuva’s First Cold Cast! Kuga Natsuki in Swimsuit
- Figure News: Nono Buster Machine 7! YES YES!
- Now I know Why Otakus Use dSLRs. I Fell in Love at the Cosfest.
- Kino no Tabi: Live-Action
- Interview with the Vampire Slayer - Lenneth, the Saya Cosplayer.
- Figure Review: BerserKAR!! KAR!! And Useless Friends
- Figure News: More Kingdom Hearts Playarts and Square Enix Master Arms set
- From the ashes of a rubbish season rises Ergo Proxy
- Figure News: Karakuri Circus Evil-looking 1/8 PVCs. Must Buy!
- Mini-Raves: Sunabouzu and Major!
- Poll Results: Do You Collect Anime Figurines? and New Poll
- 5 currently online
- 45 maximum concurrent
- 260561 total visitors