I visited the exhibition, which is still ongoing now. Located at Gallery 1 and 2 of the Nanyang Academy of FIne Arts and right beside Sunshine Plaza (they sure picked a good spot for a school), this small-scale exhibition is free and from 10 am to 7 pm I think. Their publicity featured quite a few famous anime, like the 2nd best sci-fi anime Last Exile (overtaken by GitS:SAC) and Eva.
At the entrance, a security guard ordered everyone to drop all their bags near the door. I don’t know if this is standard practice for a exhibition at NAFA but it sure was insecure because my bag had anime goods and since the exhibition was for anime freaks, these could’ve been alluring. No photography was allowed too.
Right at the entrance, a large projector was showing old trailers and commercials of the various studios like Bones, Production IG and Madhouse. Ouran, GitS and Trigun were among those featured. It was a warm and fuzzy feeling to see anime you know and like being shown in a public place.
A series of boards featuring various studios was next. This was not comprehensive and many were missing, like Kyoani. I didn’t see the point of this area because there were no translations for even the studio names so people just ignored them. N00bs. But then the "experts" would already know, yeah so this area was redundant.
Studio Comet and the excellent Capeta.
DIE BUSTER!! Btw there was almost no Eva.
GDH aka Gonzo Digimation Holdings. Sad when Glass no Kantai is the lead title.
Bones. Not much info there.
So this is the dudes who make Utawarerumono?
The rest consisted of mainly promo posters for the airing or dvd releases of various anime. Not new anime mind you, but stuff that have already completed their run so it was a bit nostalgic. I have to say these Japanese sure know how to make pretty posters unlike the rest of the world.
The power to turn rubbish into anime!
Celluloid drawing of 08th MS Team. The Gundam is just layered on the background.
Awesome underrated show thanks to lazy subbing.
Woah uber cool mecha, first saw the mecha from wonderfest pictures.
For those who have yet to see this show, Love Pheromone, please do. Half of it is super funny while the other half is rubbish. The Love Pheromone half is good.
Ugly Conan inflatable.
There were strangely a lot of Capeta. Which is good.
I think I will watch this show now, the girls are hot GK style.
It wasn’t in the GONZO section. Must have been too embarrasing for them.
Apparently, the world’s first destroy Gundam model.
DVDs for sale! 2005.
Shite poster, shite show.
I was very interested in the GONZO board because not only is it one of my favourite studios, it had comparatively more stuff. Going through the glass cabinet, I could recognise ALL the series there and can claim to have watched ALL of them. The arrangement of the exhibits was crap though. What is the point of displaying when nobody can see?
I like this poster too.
Not in the GONZO area but this is ROD.
I watched them ALL. From left: Burst Angel, Samurai 7, Gantz, Gravion, Chrno Crusade, Gatekeepers 21, Kiddy Grade, Last Exile, Gankutsuou
Character designs for Gankutsuou.
Lots of poorly arranged mini posters for GONZO. That pink bit is obviously Kiddy Grade.
There were TVs showing videos that sought to educate visitors on the production process of anime and the historical aspects of it. I found the former really interesting and the highlight of the exhibit. The video showed the production process of Jinroh the Movie which was still done with cels. Before this I have never actually seen in action how anime is made. Numbers like one second of anime needs 23 cels so 1 minute needs 1380 and blah blah means nothing if you don’t seen the animators actually making each cel by hand. Through watching that video, I can now appreciate anime a lot more. The other videos were trash.
A giant screening area showed "classics" like Prince of Tennis, Fushigi Yuugi, Yuyu Hakusho and classics like Last Exile. In dubs for the most part. Not many were watching though.
Other sections include a Cospa display of Naruto and Bleach costumes and a potpourri of random Japanese magazines including the Voice Newtype that Tsubaki recently bought. I saw the Haruhi seiyuu freebie pencil board that came with it loose on the table and was tempted to swipe.
This is ugly.
Ohh Haute Couture!
Finally, a graffitti area allowed visitors to express or show off their skillzzz. Provided with only crayons and paper, and stifled by a lack of time and space, I drew something so bad I had to hide it lol and got crayon marks inside my pockets. Oh yeah funny story: A large group of kids were beside me, lolis. They were even worse than me at art but kept looking over my shoulder and asking me "wow so good can you teach me? I though to myself, "wow loli.".
By Asoukai of 1st Otaku Battalion.
My fav one there. It was in front of me when I was trying my hand at this crayon shit and people thought I did it. SHAME.
I can’t tell what is that but I’m guessing it’s Freedom.
There were quite a few nice works though. As expected of an art college.
So while the exhibition was less than 0.00923 percent of a Tokyo Anime Festival, I still got some benefit out of it, mostly from the Jinroh video and the pretty posters.
Popularity: 11% [?]
- dannychoo.com - dannychoo.com - Your portal to Japan
- A Week in Tokyo 27
- Dark Saint
- Japanese Farts
- Tokyo By Night
- Ryouko Asakura
- Black Rock Shooter
- Honey & Clover, After Set 1
- Yagyu Jubei
- What My Top 5 Anime Says
- More from Baka than a Bunch of Idiots
- Ramblings of DarkMirage
- A Tribute to Anonymous
- EOY Cosplay 2009
- Anime Festival Asia 2009
- Animation Asia Conference 2009
- Sankaku Complex
- IIchan.ru Eroge Demo Released
- Capcom: “Gamers Have Left The Wii”
- Sea Shepherd’s New Ship Smashed in Crash with Whalers
- Square Enix: “Final Fantasy May Be Developed In The West”
- New Code Geass Anime Announced
- THAT Animeblog
- Gundam 00 S2 - 17: Andrei’s Hail Mary
- Maria+Holic, Episode 4- Oh Shaft
- Maria-sama ga Miteru - 04: The Machinations of Yoshino
- Minami-ke Okaeri - 04: Fighting Touma, Hidden Banchou
- White Album - 04: Calling Your Date Collect…
- The FØØL's Progress
- End of File
- Animation Nation 2009
- It Takes A Wizard
- Gundam Fiesta Singapore 2009
- Gundam Gals
- Why I have not Updated for Weeks: Filling up My Passport with Stamps!
- [Tenshi_MKII] Merry Christmas Everyone!
- Super Exhaustive 2000-2009 Anime List with Notes so You will Learn.
- [LianYL] End Of Year Clearance Sales
- Evangelion 2.0 in Cinemas! Best Battles in History of Anime.
- [Tenshi_MKII] Turn A Gundam in Seitokai no Ichizon?
- Exclusive Interview with Mika, the Hot Maid from Moe Moe Kyun!
- [Tenshi_MKII] Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen AKA Fatal Frame 4 is not as scary/hard as the previous games
- [G-man] Geek to Geek…. Why not?
- [G-Man] Gintama The Movie
- Update Update! Hit in the USA!
- [Kokanaden] Otaku Helpline revived - A personal issue
- Evangelion Commemorative Stamps Straight from Japan Post Office?
- Funky Limited Edition Stamps from Japan!
- Simple Plan’s “I can Wait Forever” Chosen as LaMB’s Opening
- IMPZ! Your Newspaper is Nothing Compared to MINE!! PWNED!!
- Singapore’s First Anime? GG.
- A New Chapter in the Odex Saga: Faster than the Subs Broadcast is Here!
- Day 12 in Japan: Cat Cafe, Batting Centres, it’s not like Cross Game
- Animeblogging Feeds Your Family.
Most Commented Posts
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3! - 617
- Eureka seveN!! "Decent" Anime?? CHIGAUUUU!! Ultima Class Anime. Spoilers here. - 253
- Anime Rave: Gakuen Alice - 194
- Movie Review: Koizora is so Bad, it makes Dumb and Dumber Smart - 186
- [LianYL] Hello, Bots And Readers Alike - 179
- Hot Discussion: Is Anime Good for Us? Are We Proud of Liking It? - 161
- Exclusive: The Vision of Odexflowne - 161
- Ouran: Who should Haruhi Date? - 160
- [LianYL] Aaaaand My Own Bazaar Starts Now - 123
- Nerds Make the Best Boyfriends. FACT! - 118
WordPress database error: [Duplicate entry '1262959578' for key 1]
INSERT INTO wp_onlinecounter VALUES ('1262959578', '18.104.22.168', '4142763', '0', '0')
- 11 currently online
- 71 maximum concurrent
- 4142763 total visitors