The second girl in the GP series also comes from School Rumble and is none other than the embodiment of the perfect Oriental female - Tskumoto Yakumo.
It was with such a concept that she was created and she more than fulfills it. But first, let me explain the widely-accepted definition of a traditional Oriental perfect woman.
Oriental women, traditionally, always play a supportive role towards their men. She has to support her man, whatever she does, quietly and never step into the foreground. A ditz will not do, as she must have the abilities to help the man when he’s in trouble. Thus, attributes like intelligence and literary and artistic skills are essential to a perfect Oriental woman. This comes into effect when the man shows his wife off to his friends. How elegant and virtuous a man’s wife is is directly proportionate to his reputation and status.
As for personality, she should be shy, introverted, letting the man feel protective of her. Yet she cannot be over-reliant on him and must be able to take care of herself as well as her family. That is of course, another way to say she has to do the chores and take care of the kids. The perfect Oriental woman suffers without a word of complaint and is quietly resolute in the face of adversity. She is also expected to know exactly what he thinks or wants, without ever having to ask him. She is kind, compassionate towards all living beings and sympathetic towards others. She does not have personal goals, just the desire to serve her family. She also has great tolerance.
Despite popular opinion now, Oriental women who had well-rounded hips and breasts are much coveted compared to their waif counterparts. They were believed to be better at producing offspring. Mass media these days have made skeletons more popular though. Voluptuous Oriental women are also much rarer. Even in this modern age of good nutrition, the average cup size of Orientals is a B (the equivalent of an A in the US), hence the busty, rounded types are well-liked.
Good skin is always the most important. Good means to be as fair as possible, with zero blemishes, scars and pimples. Orientals, traditionally, do not have double eyelids, so they tend to have small eyes. Large, intelligent-exuding eyes aka Phoenix Eyes are thus always desired. The mouth is also important as Asians believe that big lips and mouths are a sign of a gossip-monger.
She speaks softly and slowly but always calmly. Her voice soothes all who listen. There are no great fluctuations in tone, volume and pitch, which show that she is composed and mature. She is polite, doesn’t use unlady-like language and remains silent when she doesn’t have to speak.
Now, that is roughly an idea of what Oriental men think an ideal female should be. Note that the modern male’s ideals have evolved thanks to gender equality, smaller families, MTV etc, but in general, everybody will like a woman with the values listed above.
Some may say that they like tsundere, nekomimi, meido, imouto, genki or whatever. But these types are only likeable in the anime world. Seriously, if your girlfriend abuses you all the time but deep down she thinks, “Oh I like you a lot but have to express my love secretly,” you wouldn’t like her as much as if she was an anime character. Why? That is because real life has no thought bubbles and pink blushes! And real women grow old, would you want an old meido, nekimimi, imouto? The POW (Perfect Oriental Woman) remains perfect in old age.
Are you convinced that Yakumo is a POW? If not, here’s the evidence. Try to match each of her qualities below, to the profile of the POW.
Yakumo puts her family before herself and is always looking out for her sister’s well-being and safety. She doesn’t ever get mad at Tenma, and listens to her advice, in spite of it normally being nonsensical. Yakumo really loves her sister! Sweet.
Yakumo is very obedient to her sister’s wishes, even if it’s against her common sense.
Protecting Tenma is Yakumo’s first priority in life.
She doesn’t even get mad when dumb Tenma blocks her favourite TV show!
Yakumo is omni-potent. Be it sports, studies, games or any other skill, she’s perfect.
Ranked 8th in her year academically! A Cooking Master Girl too. And Yakumo no Go.
No wonder she’s popular. But still single.
Eight guys have been rejected so far. Kindly of course.
But her true power is the ability to understand the thoughts of those who like her. It’s an unwanted power to her though as poor innocent Yakumo is sullied by these dirty dirty boys’ dirty dirty thoughts.
She knows it when you are trying to make an impression. But she’s too nice to embarrass you.
She’s skilled in the art of dodging retards. And judo too.
Yakumo not only feeds Iori, but saves him when he’s stuck on a tree, selflessly protecting him with her body. My heroine.
She stands fearlessly even before guns, supported only by her love for animals.
Yakumo can be selfless to a fault, risking her own safety all the time. But her greatness moves like-minded people into helping her.
Yakumo takes on the mad dog but needs help from her best friend Sara.
I really like cats too. I also like girls who like cats.
A true sleeping Cat goddess.
Yakumo is always helpful, taking the initiative when she feels she can help.
Poor Yakumo unwittingly helps herself to big trouble.
She’s trusting and sensitive to others’ feelings.
Yakumo takes good care of her new younger brother.
Yakumo believes that good begets good and vice versa.
Yakumo supports her man (it’s questionable whether he is her man though) without complaints, even role-playing as Tenma, skipping her studying for her own exams and enduring a storm in a blackout. Yet she doesn’t claim any credit at all, and even invites trouble when everyone misunderstands their relationship. She could’ve made it clear by just revealing that Harima’s doing manga, but she chose to honour her promise instead, and bearing the brunt of everyone’s teasing.
Yakkumo makes so many sacrifices for Harima.
Essential to a POW are facial features and a perfect figure. Looks like Yakumo need not worry about these, she stole the good genes from Tenma already.
Yakumo has nice breasts. That’s an understatement. Even Tenma is proud of them.
Perfect feet are important too.
More important than body is the face. Yakumo scores big big points in this area too.
Phoenix/cat eyes! Sharp nose! Small mouth! Fair skin! A masterpiece of Oriental genes.
The casting of Noto Mamiko is completely, 100%, totally, perfect. Noto has an airy, elegant, shy voice that fits Yakumo. Speaking politely all the time, with short but meaningful sentences, Yakumo’s voice is music. I can just compile a mp3 of Yakumo’s memorable lines and play it on my mp3 player all day. Sigh.
An interesting point of note is that Yakumo doesn’t talk much, so many a time her mouth is not drawn in the manga. This fits the quiet POW profile.
The Eri Connection
As a POW, Yakumo is in direct contrast to Eri, who is a modern type girl. Kobayashi Jin cleverly pits these 2 against each other for the battle to win Harima. Their contrasting character designs and personalities complement each other, producing many memorable scenes that brings these two closer to the fans’ hearts.
Finally, we come to her stats. This is from the official SR website.
- Height: 166 cm
- Likes: Sister
- Unable to deal with: Dogs
- Likes to hang out at: Places with Sunlight
- Troubles: Her falling asleep everywhere
- Skills: Cooking and taking care of her sister
- Points to note: She can see the thoughts of those who like her. Her cat is named Iori.
I finally reach this point after about 5 hours spent going through the entire season and OVA yet again, getting and sorting the screen caps, captioning, writing etc. Why do I do this? Because she is worth it.
Click here for a guild of Yakumo lovers.
Popularity: 14% [?]
- Yes! It's going to be great!: 11% (27)
- Maybe, I'll still watch it anyway and judge then.: 46% (116)
- No! It will be shit! Like all adaptations!: 34% (86)
- What is Ghost in the Shell? I love yaoi.: 10% (25)
Total Votes : 254
- Spring 08 Week 3: Progress Checklist - Blassreiter is Good??
- [Hynavian] Anime Girls vs Reality
- Anime Tutorial 2: Become a l33t Seiyuu Fan in 8 Steps!
- [Gman] If Life Were an Anime…
- [LianYL] So You Want To Be A Trap
- Anime Tutorial 1: Become a l33t Mecha Fan in 8 Steps
- DakiMakura (Body Pillows): A Nice List of Uses
- Code Geass R2 Ratings LOWER than To Love Ru!
- [Hynavian] Anime Music for Muggers
- [LianYL] This Is How You Attain Full Marks For Essays
- Figure News: Let’s Celebrate SR2 with a new set of Functional SR figs!
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3!
- Looking at Stats and Probability School Rumble Style
- MangaAnalysis: School Rumble #146-147: Harima’s Tenma Hopes Nosedive
- Riuva Quiz: School Rumble Edition!
- MangaAnalysis: School Rumble #144-145: Karen Karen Karen Karen
- Figure(sortof) News: School Rumble Keychains!
- School Rumble 2nd Term 4: Is Akira the new Yakumo?!
- MangaAnalysis: School Rumble Volume 12! Tenma’s Birthday Bash!
- LOL School Rumble 23 is FUNNY with Romance! LOL
Most Commented Posts
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3! - 464
- Eureka seveN!! "Decent" Anime?? CHIGAUUUU!! Ultima Class Anime. Spoilers here. - 210
- Anime Rave: Gakuen Alice - 179
- Exclusive: The Vision of Odexflowne - 158
- Hot Discussion: Is Anime Good for Us? Are We Proud of Liking It? - 135
- Ouran: Who should Haruhi Date? - 111
- Nerds Make the Best Boyfriends. FACT! - 107
- Q and A! Find Out What You Need to Know About the Never-Ending Odex Saga! - 94
- What is the Anime Hero of Your Country? - 88
- I Torch You! It’s Raining Offence and Political Correctness Here! YAOI LOVE!! - 81
- Anime Desho Desho?
- Extras Needed!
- Evangelion 0.1: You Are (Not) Alone
- Hello from space!
- Greetings from a film shoot
- Sinema Old School
- dannychoo.com - Danny Choo : Anime, Figures, Idols, Gundam, Otaku and Events from Japan
- Japanese Snacks
- A Week in Tokyo 13
- Spending in Tokyo
- Harassment in Japan
- Shining Tears Ryuna
- 5 Centimeters Per Second
- Her Triggerheart Exelica
- I Had No Idea Kanon Was this Funny
- Anime Blog Award Nominations
- Mushi-Shi in the Middle
- Ramblings of DarkMirage
- Maaya Sakamoto - Triangler
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 3
- Ghost in the Shell Live Action
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 2
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 1
- The FØØL's Progress
- Tokyo International Anime Fair 2008 - Gross National Cool
- TOKYO ANIMATION TOUR - Day 3 - Tokyo International Anime Fair
- TOKYO ANIMATION TOUR - Day 2 - From Akiba to Otome Road
- Say Yes
- 101 Proposal
- 17 currently online
- 45 maximum concurrent
- 2125265 total visitors