Having finished watching the horrible Scryed, I felt compelled to get the recently released Megahouse version of Xeres. She’s cute yeah. The show was great for the early and middle parts but the ending was so bad, it made Love Idol look like Last Exile. How the fuck can you end the story at episode 24 and have the main characters fighting nonsensically for two episodes? The show started sinking at about episode 20 onwards though.
Anyway, there’ll be some spoilers because of the nature of the topic. Is it any different buying figurines of characters that you know are dead?
Obviously anime characters can’t really die, since they aren’t real. But you are led to believe they are dead, so they are, at least to you. Is buying a figurine of say, Souseiseki, any different from getting one of Suiseiseki?
Before that, we’ll have to look into the reasons for buying anime figurines. There are essentially two main reasons for buying a figurine.
The most common is an attraction to its aesthetics. This is why Melissa Seraphy and most of Range Murata’s figurines are purchased. It’s akin to buying a vase to decorate your home. There is no emotional attachment, only a visual attraction.
In most other cases, it would be an attraction to the character being figurised. In this case, the push to purchase stems from your love for the particular character and hence the desire to have a physical symbol of that love around to remember and admire. An example prominent recently would be the Max Fac Haruhi. Sure, it’s a nice figure, but the real reason everyone wants it is because they love Haruhi. Would an equally nice figure of Tsuyokiss’s Sunao be as popular? Not at all.
So how do the above relate to buying a figurine of a dead anime character? Not much, it seems. Because if someone likes a certain sculpt of Souseiseki, he may buy it for the aesthetics. And if another is a fan of the scissors tomboydoll, he’ll buy it as a symbol of his fan status. That much is pretty normal.
But doesn’t the "DEAD" status of characters bother you? I know Xeres and Souseiseki are DEAD but if I make them appear on my desk in all living glory (in PVC no less) with smiles and cute poses, will I be cheapening their deaths in my own memories? Or will these figures be less vases and more tombstones, for us to forever immortalise these heroines who met with tragic ends?
Looking through my current collection, I note a few figures of dead characters. Rei x 5, Burst Angel’s Jo (status pending the OVA though), Sephiroth, Tidus, Auron, Rider (anime-wise) and a couple of the Gundam Seed girls like the ViceCaptain and Aisha but none of these were really emo or certain deaths besides the FFX dudes. And they died like a few years back. Character deaths are only ever memorable if you liked them in the first place.
So the incoming Xeres and Souseiseki would be the first two figurines of dead characters I really liked. I wonder if more sentimentality would be attached to them because of their status. Would be the same as displaying portraits of famous dead people, busts of Mozart and Beethoven or even that of Sir Stamford Raffles so proudly displayed in my Alma Mater?
And yes, this is Nerd Psycho at the keyboard.
So what say you, the horde of fanboys who have bought 2 kilograms worth of Meer Campbell figures? And are there anymore figurines of notable dead characters to suggest?
I can think of mostly Gundam Characters, since they die the most and yet have the most merchandise. Four Murasame comes to mind.
- Yes, my best skill now is "watching anime".: 74% (111)
- No, anime is too weak to make me lose control.: 26% (39)
Total Votes : 150
- New Camera! W0000 POWER!
- Figure Review: Dark Saber is the Nagato Yuki of Fate
- Weekly Rounds: Tachikoma, F91, More FigShooting, Xeres and Nerds
- I Can’t Buy Figurines of Dead Anime Characters! Or Can I?
- Figure Gallery: Messerschmitt 109 FighterBabe
- Figure Gallery: Melon Munchin’ Monster
- Figure Gallery: Sleepy Hollow Louise Version
- Otaku Hunting and Guitar Talk, Depapepe Power
- Figure News: Scream, Haruhi Fanboys! Last Exile Rocks too.
- EX Figure Review: Riuva’s First Cold Cast! Kuga Natsuki in Swimsuit
- Figure News: First 1/8 PVC of Ilya! Sitting on Berserker’s Blade.
- Figure News: Alter Releasing Type Moon Trading Figures. Top Quality unlike Yujin.
- Figure News: FFX’s Tidus, Yuna and Auron Playarts Action Figure
- The Symptoms of a Sick Shounen
- Modern Sculptural Representation of a Literary Classic: Gankutsuou Figurines
- Figure(sortof) News: School Rumble Keychains!
- I Just Watched the Sickest Scene in Anime
- Figure News: Flonne the Angel Apprentice 1/8 PVC from Kotobukiya
- Movie Rant: X-men: The Last Stand, Hmmph Not Better than Last Exile
- Figure News: Witchblade gets TWO Different Figurines. Both Busty and Evil!!
- 5 currently online
- 45 maximum concurrent
- 260370 total visitors