That’s right, I don’t know how many manga I bought today. What I do know is, they were rather heavy. Chuang Yi, the only distributor/publisher of manga here in Singapore, is having a bazaar, which is actually a nicer way of saying "I wanna sell the dusty old stock that’s been stuck in the warehouses for the better part of the last century". The good news is, unlike most sales that exaggerate the discount, CY is true to their word in selling manga for 50 cents. That’s a 90 percent off but only applying to the really old series, some of which are about just as old as me.
The sale is held at their HQ, Alexandria Distripark, a rather rundown compound of warehouses and it takes a bit of effort to find the place. Tsubaki, Umehiko and I had no problems because all we had to do was to FOLLOW THE NERDS.
At the sale, there are two separate sections - the mega-cheap old archaic stuff and newer releases. The megacheap old stuff is where I got most of my books. And when I say old, I mean old… I bet some of the books there were printed in the early 90s! Lots of dust and dirt of course, but I ended up just shoving stuff into my shopping bag without much though. The really really old stuff are going for a dollar each but if you got 10 of them, it was five dollars. The less old stuff are 2 bucks each but 10 books for 10 bucks. The usual price is about 5 dollars each.
I ended up getting 1-12 of Umizaru aka Sea Monkeys, the series that spawned the drama and movies. I have no idea if it’ll be good, but chances are good. I also got the full set bar volume 15 and 16 of MONSTER, which I’ve read but didn’t own. And for nostalgia, 1-25 (or something) of Psychometer Eiji, also with a couple of books in the middle missing. Now to scour other stores to fill up the missing books. Beyond these, I picked up the first volume (which I was missing) of Buddha Zone, a manga by the Shaman King author Takei Hiroyuki prior to SK and 1-3 of Level E, Hunter x Hunter’s author Togashi Yoshihiro. All these for 43 dollars. I’m guessing it’s about 50 or so books. Haven’t counted.
The recent release section wasn’t as heavily discounted for obvious reasons, though a 20 percent off still was attractive. I reckon a 20% off would still profit CY, since they are skipping the middleman retailers for this sale. Here in this section, every single recent release could be found and there were tonnes of stuff I wanted to get. Unfortunately, the more sane price meant I couldn’t just shove everything into the bag. Ended up getting Shinangyo Onshi 14, Speed Grapher 3, Harlem Beat 18, Vagabond 4, Prince of Tennis 35 and Karakuri Circus 1-5. Yup, that’s the same Karakuri Circus whose figures I reviewed. The art is horrible but I’m giving it a chance.
Couldn’t lug the whole chunk of woodpulp back home so I had to call my mum and ask for a lift home. At the sale, tonnes of people were staring at the other merchandise we were holding and the braver ones came up to ask stuff like "Can these be bought here? Where did you get them? How much are these?" Looks like figurines are not mainstream at all! Most people don’t even know where to get them. For your info, I was holding onto Kamisaka Haruhi, Mine Blue and Shoka while Tsubaki had his HJ special Bikini Rider and a Ryuk Statue. The Deathgod really attracted the fan girls who secretly stole glances at it.
Stay tuned for a glut of reviews! Tomorrow, Tsubaki and I will be going to the beach for some figurine photoshooting. I’m so broke I can’t even use the ATM anymore. They don’t allow withdrawals of amounts less than twenty. LOL.
Popularity: 4% [?]
- [Tsubaki] The Great Figurine Clearance Sale
- Narnia: Prince Caspian is the Worst Film Ever.
- [Tsubaki] Japan will allow military use of space
- [Hynavian] Blogging Etiquettes - What Are Yours?
- [LianYL] Kyou Kara Pokkai
- The Effects of Tsundere Explained via Trigonometrical Graphs
- [Tsubaki] Craigslist: Afternoon Swordsman Wanted!
- [Tsubaki] Code Geass R2 Ep7 Stickies
- [Tsubaki] RIUVA, hijacked.
- [Hynavian] Female Ninja Blogger - 8 Ways to Smokescreen Yourself
- Manga Event!! Go Go Go!! It’s Kaleidoscope!
- Site Upgrade: Three New Features
- Amatsuki Shows Why Men are Better than Women
- I Can’t Buy Figurines of Dead Anime Characters! Or Can I?
- Weekly Rounds
- Weekly Rounds: Mega Manga Intake! and other news…
- Manga: Speed Grapher the Manga… GONZO without the GONZO?
- Ads and Anime Blogging
- [LianYL] NCRM >> Random Rumours
- [Hynavian] Rosario+Vampire Episode 13 review, thoughts, panty lessons
Most Commented Posts
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3! - 477
- Eureka seveN!! "Decent" Anime?? CHIGAUUUU!! Ultima Class Anime. Spoilers here. - 212
- Anime Rave: Gakuen Alice - 180
- Exclusive: The Vision of Odexflowne - 158
- Hot Discussion: Is Anime Good for Us? Are We Proud of Liking It? - 138
- Ouran: Who should Haruhi Date? - 115
- Nerds Make the Best Boyfriends. FACT! - 107
- Q and A! Find Out What You Need to Know About the Never-Ending Odex Saga! - 94
- What is the Anime Hero of Your Country? - 88
- I Torch You! It’s Raining Offence and Political Correctness Here! YAOI LOVE!! - 82
- Anime Desho Desho?
- The Great Singapore Figurine Clearance Sale
- I’m on teh newspapers!
- Extras Needed!
- Evangelion 0.1: You Are (Not) Alone
- Hello from space!
- dannychoo.com - Danny Choo : Anime, Figures, Idols, Gundam, Otaku and Events from Japan
- Krispy Kreme Tokyo
- The Early Years 1
- A Week in Los Angeles
- Macross VS Geass VS Gundam
- Health Care in Japan
- Franco il Nero [questionable]
- Kujibiki Unbalance v1, Not Awful
- Reinforce Zwei as an LMD
- Reservoir Lucky Star
- Sasara Kusugawa and Ernst Von Groaner
- Ramblings of DarkMirage
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 8
- Oversensitive Religion
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 7
- Code Geass R2 — Episode 6
- Macross Frontier
- The FØØL's Progress
- The Wedding Diary #2
- Pokémon Itasha
- One Year War
- The Wedding Diary #1
WordPress database error: [Duplicate entry '1212167494' for key 1]
INSERT INTO wp_onlinecounter VALUES ('1212167494', '18.104.22.168', '2263701', '0', '0')
- 22 currently online
- 45 maximum concurrent
- 2263701 total visitors