All photos from Windbell’s Canon EOS-400D.
A few of the attendees, with Shianne the sporty-type maid. She’s a head taller than Tsubaki and had to crouch for fear of offending him.
There was no official organised event, but through word of mouth, many nerds started showing up at the cosafe in the hope of catching a glimpse of celebrity anime bloggers. Ok maybe not. But the group swarmed to the size of about 30 people, including luminaries such as Zer0 (who’s newly added to my feature feeds section), Darkmirage (who wore his school tie), Lian the troll and his twin sister (not a troll though. Troll genes must be a mutation and not hereditary).
About 40 percent of the group were in full formal attire, with the other half choosing to adopt a classic otaku image. The remaining ten percent were naked.
Poor Bjorn and KonoeKonoka wore their suits so straight, they looked like salesmen/diplomats. Pity Bjorn was blocked. The maid on the left is Ferlyn, the owner of Cosafe, while the right one is Joie, who’s known as Smart and Musically Talented Maid.
In the end, the big screen showed the Tiger Cup Singapore vs Malaysia football match and that was by far more exciting than all the maids put together. Yeah, like most outdoor establishments at CHIJmes, the maid cafe now has a big screen for footie fans! Now that’s another reason to head there on weekends. It’s also a good time because there will be far more maids on duty than compared to regular weekdays.
I had a full dinner there for the first time, ordering their char grilled Sirloin steak with red wine sauce. It was great actually, despite the smallish portion. I asked for medium rare and they did give me just that, which automatically puts the standard superior to 90% of steak places here, which toss up a random variable between rare and welldone whatever you order. The price is heart-breaking but that’s to be expected for a eatery of that location.
But the interesting thing was, all the suited fellas didn’t talk about anime or its related topics at all during the whole night while the otaku-costumed lads were up to their ears in conversation about it. This just shows that clothes really do change a person.
I don’t really have pictures during the event so too bad. I’ll just list down the main points.
- Lian the troll’s sister is yuri for the maids. Lian is Sasahara from Genshiken, totally. While the sister is naturally Sasahara’s sister. The resemblance is uncanny.
- Konoekonoka’s fake American accent is as cool as a brain-washed monkey feeding on the remains of Kira Yamato.
- Darkmirage wore his trademark "Hi I’m Darkmirage" jersey underneath his long-sleeved shirt. And ripped it off a la Superman.
- Some cheapskates failed to pay their share of the massive combined bill and MitsukiHayase (the guy above the two maids in the picture above) had to overpay by forty dollars. Could we all chip in a dollar or two each to cover his loss?
- Zer0 is always at the cafe playing chinese chess with his cousin. For some reason, they don’t play at home.
- Bjorn was cursing and swearing online that he wouldn’t wear formal clothes and wanted to come in "rags". But he showed up in a full suit with a tie. Rags lol.
A few of us, namely Tsubaki, Windbell, wife and myself, met up early for a mock-cosplay photoshoot at Raffles Place. How would these figure photographers fare when they themselves are the subjects?