The end of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann left me feeling inspired, yet very disillusioned. The series, essentially one of hope (the nearest equivalent English meaning to the concept of spiral power), was named after the final evolution of the Lagann, could so easily be renamed as "THE SPIRIT OF KAMINA" and wouldn’t look out of place.
Looking back, I realised that alot of the disillusionment I felt was due to the death of what I consider to be the physical embodiment of the essence of the series, Kamina. Dying at the end of episode 8 wasn’t justified at all. His cameo in episode 25 only cemented the belief that without him, they would never have made it through. Still, the need for the manifestation of his spirit wasn’t enough justification for his death so early in the series. Admittedly, he was the first person to successfully unlock the power of the Giga-Drill, but compare the use of his Giga-Drill to that of Kittan, and it pales in comparisons. As stated above though, without him setting a precedent for unlocking the limitless spiral power, perhaps Kittan might never have had the chance to die so gloriously. Still, the sense of loss, till now, is the one issue I have been unable to come to terms with.
As such, I started on a journey to uncover the truth, not unlike that taken by Takemoto in Honey and Clover. There’s always a secret reason behind the death of great heroes, that when unlocked, provides further testament to their greatness. After months of searching, I stumbled upon the truth: There was another reason why Kamina died, and it’s something so secret, even the scriptwriters and producers never noticed. They saw fit to retell the great legend of Kamina from the perspective of their own history, but by ending the series with the imminent journey by Viral into deep space, they inadvertently overlooked the REAL reason why Kamina had died. Kamina had died not just because his death would inspire the Spirals to victory, but also because another universe, anchored in deep space, needed his presence. This universe, which suffers from the grand delusion of self-comfort, of visual novel adaptations, of inhumane killings on nice boats, and of Burmese monks protesting on the streets, needed a leader.
That’s right, I’m talking about Earth, our globe, spinning in a solar system anchored in a galaxy in deep space. Look at how great leaders inspire the evolution of man to new heights: Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Napoleon, Saladin, Richard the Lionheart, Alexander, and many others. Our world is now populated by pussy leaders: Bush, Putin, Kim Jong Il, Osama Bin Laden, which accounts for the mess and chaos in the world today. The spirit of spiral power is lost, and we are desperately in need of a true, manly, leader.
Do you see it now? Are you in tears now? Kamina died, not because of his weaknesses, not because his death would inspire the ultimate victory of Simon and his Dai Gurren Brigade, but because he saw a world devolving into chaos, a world bereft of spiral power. He died so that he could be reborn into this wretched world, and save us all from damnation. He died to save us. And before you think I’m referring to the second coming of some religion icons, no, I’m not.
I’m in tears as I type this. He willing gave up his life, a life of where he was effectively God on another world, and came here instead, walking amongst us as equals, as a normal human being, enduring life on this cursed, forgotten planet. Who is he? I finally managed to track him down, and while he politely refused any interviews on my discovery of his true identity, just by being close to him, you could feel his manliness. I managed to steal a snapshot of him though, and there’s no better end to my article than showing a picture of him, the very embodiment of manliness. A huge thank you goes out to LianYL for his superb skills.
Popularity: 22% [?]
- dannychoo.com - dannychoo.com - Your portal to Japan
- A Week in Tokyo 27
- Dark Saint
- Japanese Farts
- Tokyo By Night
- Ryouko Asakura
- Unity Yuno
- PSE-02 Chris Santa
- ~fuwa~ Livefeed
- Moribito, eps 1-8
- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Ramblings of DarkMirage
- Gundam 00 S2 — Episode 08
- Sankaku Complex
- TV Censorship: It Could Be Worse…
- Schoolgirl Oppai $20 A Go
- Idol Plasticity: Yumiko Shaku
- 3D vs 3D: Song Hye Kyo
- Lara Popporippi Extreme Paipan Ero-Exposure Figure
- THAT Animeblog
- A Christmas Dialogue Round 1
- WHAT Impz Hate about Anime: “Cooking Moe”
- Impz’s first Winter impressions - White Album, another IDOL show?
- [Team Blue] Team blogging is not the future for anime blogging. Not now, not ever. [now with lelangir’s inserted thoughts which amount to the fact that it doesn’t take a team blog to do team blogging]
- It’s a New Year and I Already Got Robbed…
- The FØØL's Progress
- LaMB : The Future Will Always Be Beautiful
- PEPPER PROJECT @ AFA08
- [Ascaloth] Trial Run: White Album, Episode 1
- [LianYL] BRStick - 95 >> Left4Bed
- [LianYL] BRStick - 94 >> Sentimental Nonsense
- [Ascaloth] ef ~a tale of melodies~, Episode 12
- Gantz + Bleach + Matrix + Hunter x Hunter = Psyren
- [Ascaloth] ef ~a tale of melodies~, Episode 11
- [Ascaloth] CLANNAD ~After Story~, Episode 12
- [Ascaloth/Akira] Nodame Cantabile ~Paris Chapter~, Episode 9
- Simple Plan’s “I can Wait Forever” Chosen as LaMB’s Opening
- So, What is the Best Shounen Manga Series Now?
- When the Keywords, Categories and Trackbacks Just Come Together in a Massive Coincidence…
- And the New Academic Year Begins… Anyone Joining Up?
- [LianYL] The Ramblings of MuckVisage
- [LianYL] Bogged Down By Passion
- Movie Review: Ghost Rider! Cage this Piece of Crap Up!
- [Tsubaki] Man goes on a stabbing spree, kills 7 people in Akihabara
- Tsundere Does Not Work in Non-Dating Sim Video Games
- Poster Mega Giveaway A Roaring Success!
- Gundam 00 Part 1 ENDS!! SPOILER ALERT!
- I Can’t Buy Figurines of Dead Anime Characters! Or Can I?
Most Commented Posts
- Goodbye School Rumble Season 2! Hello Season 3! - 555
- Eureka seveN!! "Decent" Anime?? CHIGAUUUU!! Ultima Class Anime. Spoilers here. - 221
- Anime Rave: Gakuen Alice - 184
- [LianYL] Hello, Bots And Readers Alike - 176
- Exclusive: The Vision of Odexflowne - 159
- Hot Discussion: Is Anime Good for Us? Are We Proud of Liking It? - 152
- Ouran: Who should Haruhi Date? - 138
- Movie Review: Koizora is so Bad, it makes Dumb and Dumber Smart - 136
- Nerds Make the Best Boyfriends. FACT! - 111
- Q and A! Find Out What You Need to Know About the Never-Ending Odex Saga! - 95
- 17 currently online
- 51 maximum concurrent
- 3106268 total visitors